- MPP, Don Valley East, 2011 - present
- Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, February 2013 – present
- Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport, December 2011 – February 2013
- Political Science and Canadian History degrees from Carleton University
Personal and Family Life
- Married (Lori) with two children, Maren and Myla
- Prior to entering government, served as Public School Trustee in Toronto
- Former CEO/ Executive Director of Alpha Plus
- Former ESL teacher and curriculum director
Michael Coteau was elected to the legislature in 2011 as the MPP for Don Valley East. He was appointed Minister of Citizenship and Immigration in February, 2013. Prior to entering government, Coteau served as a school board trustee for almost eight years.
As a trustee, Coteau worked to make schools more accessible to community groups that run after-school programs for children. He also served as the Vice-Chair of the Toronto District School Board and helped to bring forward nutritional changes that increased awareness around student hunger and resulted in healthy food programs. In addition, he is a champion of the integration of technology in education.
Coteau is former CEO and Executive Director of a national literacy not-for-profit, Alpha Plus. He was also on the board of the Toronto Foundation for Student Success and on the board of the Toronto Land Corporation.
Coteau and his wife, Lori, live in Toronto along with their two daughters, Maren and Myla.